Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 27 July 2015

Info Post
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A Hillview police officer's compassion quickly spread on social media after he responded to a frantic woman on Interstate 65.

Barbie Henderson said it was one of the weakest moments in her life. She was driving on I-65 southbound and received a call that her sister had passed away.

"I couldn’t concentrate or anything. I was so upset, screaming and hollering," said Henderson. The first thing that came to her mind was to call 911.

 Dispatch communicated with a nearby Hillview Police Officer, who arrived behind Henderson's car within minutes. "The officer came in my car and sat and talked to me," said Henderson. "He wiped the tears from my face. He gave me some water. He made sure my air conditioning was up high."
Office John Nissen made sure Henderson knew she was not alone and communicated that he would get her family there as soon as possible.

"I wanted her to feel treated the way I would want my family treated," he said.

Henderson's sister, Sondra Barlow, arrived moments later. When she pulled behind their cars, she said she was shocked at what she saw.

"He was sitting there in the car right next to her. He was holding her hand, wiping her tears and talking to her," said Barlow. She said Officer John Nissen described what had taken place and shared with her how Henderson was feeling and what she was going through.

At that moment in time, Barlow said Officer Nissen was more than an officer to her.
"He was family," said Barlow. "I mean, he was the one who sat there with her when she was crying about losing our sister."

Both sisters hugged Office Nissen. "Barbie gave me a hug and I thought I was going to pass out because she hugged me so tight," said Nissen.

As Officer Nissen put Barbie's seatbelt on, Barlow snapped a picture of the two holding each other. Barlow posted it to Hillview Police Department's Facebook page to share the compassion she and her sister received from Office Nissen.

The post quickly went viral.

Sunday afternoon, both sisters met up with Officer Nissen again to share their own comments.

"People don’t have to be nice and people don’t have to be kind," said Barlow. "People don’t have to be compassionate, nor do they have to care. So when they do, you should always say thank you."
Barlow, along with her sister Henderson, hugged and thanked Officer Nissen again.

All it takes is kindness to change people's lives, said Nissen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment